Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy Birthday Jesus




This year, we were home for Christmas. It is a rare occasion, so I wanted to really try and make it special. And it was, in its own way. It just didn't go exactly as I planned. We had an awesome Christmas Eve dinner at Mandy's and then headed out to church for the candlelight service. I have not really been to this in years, and it is one of my favorite things about the holiday. Church was crowded and the organ was already playing loudly as the crowd gathered. Immediately, Carsyn was upset. I tried going with "this is Jesus's birthday party..... it's going to be fun! Everyone is going to sing special songs for him." Long story short, we ended up in the car watching Mr. Popper's Penguins and missing the service once again. For days following, she kept asking, "Mommy.... we have a go Jesus's birsday?" with fear and trepidation. Maybe one day...


When we got home, the girls unwrapped their jammies and then called Mimmy and Papaw via Face Time. (That has been the coolest thing about my iPhone.) And then the best gift of all. Twas the Night Before Christmas recorded by Mimmy and Papaw. The girls were both so excited. Cam...excited and a little misty-eyed, and Carsyn just kept yelling, "That's PAPAW!" when it got to his voice. It was the perfect gift for a far away family and a good reminder about what is important...and it isn't having things go exactly according to schedule.


So Happy Birthday, Jesus. I'm so sorry I didn't make it to your party yet again this year, but from the bottom of my heart, thank you for giving me the greatest Christmas gift of all. My family.

No comments: