Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Postcard from the edge

Let me give you a peak at my last 48 hours in the event that any of you ever need to testify regarding why I lost my mind. =)

Sunday night dinner with the fam then worked til about 11. Fed bug, went to bed. Up the next morning and overslept (SHOCKER), so we run, run, run to get ready. Oops - and did I mention that Marty gave bug a bottle at 4:00 a.m. and she was up again for the day at 5:15? So I did what any stellar mom would do and turned off the monitor until my alarm when off. Yes, these are my proudest moments as a parent. I should clearly write a book or something. So we take Cam to school, come home, feed bug breakfast and get her stuff ready for school, then off we go.
I get home, settle in front of my computer and start taking deep breaths so that I don't go into panic mode that it is only 9:00 a.m. on Monday and already I am starting my week "behind" with my work deliverables. 20 minutes pass and I think I hear a faint whining sound. I'm busy. I ignore it. My kids are not here, Marty isn't home, my tv is not on, I have coffee (but haven't had enough to be awake yet), so clearly my ears are playing tricks on me. I hear it again. CRAP - I have dogs. So I head downstairs, and that is exactly what I had. CRAP. Because of my love muffin of a dog, Lucy, I then spend the next 20 minutes scrubbing my floors. So fast forward until about 5:30 because it is all a conference call blur when I remember that Camden has a project due that we haven't started. Being the sweet pea that she is, she has diligently reminded me of this and yet we have not started. So we sit down to make Abe Lincoln. Bug goes to bed, we eat dinner, I head to my desk to work again. 10:00 I feed bug and head to bed. I have a tremendous headache and am exhausted. Marty, God bless him, gets up and gets me some ibuprofen. I sleep. At 1:20, Lucy is whining to go out. (Note to self: You should NOT ignore this whining.) So I take her out. Fall back asleep maybe a bit before 2:00 a.m. 4:30 a.m., Marty wakes me to say goodbye. (Yes, he really does get up with the roosters and go to work that early.) I close my eyes again. 4:45 a.m. bug is awake. I'm exhausted. I'm burying my head under my pillow. She will go back to sleep, I convince myself.... until 5:45 when I admit defeat and take her a bottle, change her, put her back down. On my way down, I notice another love note on my carpet from Lucy. You have got to be kidding me.... Even as I sit down to write this post, I hop up to take a potty break, enter into the downstairs bathroom to find it stopped up. That's right....I am plunging toilets and cleaning dog poo before I have even had a cup of coffee yet today.
Don't get me wrong, I would not trade my life or my children (maybe my dog, but that's a moot point right now) for anything in the world. They are my everything. But one day I am going to look back at the solid year of sleep I didn't get and the dog that is a ridiculous mess and wonder how I stayed sane. So happy Tuesday from a woman on the edge! ;o)

1 comment:

kate parke said...

ha ha! hang in there. I did a post with that same title!